I don’t have the right software to open the file in a Pix question on my computer. What should I do?
No fee-paying or proprietary software is required to pass the questions. Open source and free software are broadly sufficient. Often, you can also use online tools.
More specifically, to pass Pix tests, you may need:
- For text files (.docx or .odt), spreadsheets (.xls or .ods) or presentations (.pptx or .odp), an office suite with spreadsheets, word processing, presentations, etc. (OpenOffice, Apache OpenOffice, Microsoft Office, etc.).
If you don’t have an office suite installed on your device, you can use the OpenOffice suite which is free and available for PC and Mac. It contains OpenOffice Writer (equivalent to Word) and OpenOffice Calc (equivalent to Excel). Download OpenOffice
- For image files (.png, .jpeg or .tiff), an image processing software (Paint, Gimp, Photoshop, etc.)
If you don’t have image processing software installed on your device, you can use Gimp software which is free and available for PC and Mac. Download Gimp.
- For video files (.mp4), a video editing software (iMovie, Microsoft Photos, Adobe Premiere, Kdenlive, etc.)
If you don’t have video editing software installed on your device, you can use Shotcut software which is free and available for PC and Mac. Download Shotcut.
I’m on a smartphone or tablet and I can’t open this file. What should I do?
- Is your device (smartphone or tablet) equipped with the software needed to answer the question? Questions with files to be downloaded may require specific software (office suite or drawing or video editing software – see previous question).
- Furthermore, not all questions with files to be downloaded can be completed on smartphones or tablets. If it seems it can’t be done, move on to the next question and try again on a computer.
I can’t edit the file to be downloaded in a Pix question. What should I do?
- The file is probably open as “Read-only” or in “Protected mode”.
- Click on “Enable editing” or “Edit the document” on the banner at the top of the file if it opens.
- Otherwise, save the file under another name and open this new file.
I can’t find the file to be downloaded in a Pix question. What should I do?
- To help you find them, files from Pix questions start with the word “Pix”, with rare exceptions.
- By default, a downloaded file is saved in a “Downloads” folder. It may also be downloaded to the same location as your last download...
Modified on: Mon, 26 Apr, 2021 at 5:13 PM
Can not find the answer to your question? You can contact us.